What is a School Governor?
What do governors do?
- Helping to establish the aims and policies of the school and how standards of education can be constantly improved;
- Ensuring that a broad and balanced curriculum is delivered and that it meets statutory requirements, while promoting high standards and monitoring progress during the year;
- Appointing, challenging and supporting school leaders (being a ‘critical friend’);
- Acting as a link between the local community and the school;
- Helping to set and manage the school budget;
- Ensuring the health and safety of pupils and staff.
At Awbridge School our governors do this on several levels. They meet as a Full Governing Body (FGB) about six times a year but also in two main committees, where certain aspects of the school are considered in more detail. At present our committees are:
- Resources– dealing with finance, our building and grounds (including Health & Safety) and all staffing matters.
- Curriculum and Standards– dealing with curriculum and assessment matters and monitoring standards, as well as communication with parents and the wider community (including the production of the school prospectus).
Individual governors are also linked with a particular area, such as Special Educational Needs, Safeguarding, or a curriculum or class. This ensures that Governors ‘know their school’ and are able to challenge the school to achieve the very best outcomes for children.
All governors are encouraged to visit the school during the working day if they can, but do not interfere in the day-to-day teaching or running of the school.
Hampshire County Council provides training in all aspects of governors’ responsibilities and our governors take full advantage of that, in order to be as effective as possible.
Veronica Perry – Chair of Governors
Veronica Perry has been the Chair of Governors for 2 years and a member of the governing body for 5 years.
Previously a Secondary School English teacher, Veronica oversees the work of both committees.
Paul Harris – Vice Chair of Governors
Janette Benakis chairs the Finance & Resources Committee.
She has extensive experience working in the commercial business world with sales, marketing, budgeting and team management experience.
Janette is the designated Safeguarding Governor, sits on the Pay Committee and is the link governor for Sport/PE at Awbridge. She has a particular interest in ensuring best utilization of our resources (facilities and budget) to improve outcomes for all children and creating a positive working environment for both pupils and staff.
Kim Bown is designated Safeguarding Governor and sits on the Curriculum and Standards Committee. He is a qualified social worker and has held a range of practitioner, manager and academic appointments related to children’s services. He is currently a university senior lecturer specialising in teaching and researching issues relating to safeguarding and the wellbeing of looked after children.
He has extensive experience of external assessment and regulation of higher education in England and Northern Ireland.
Kim is a parent of two children who attend Awbridge school. He is committed to school being a richly rewarding, aspirational, safe and inclusive experience for all children irrespective of background and ability.
Jane Stokes chairs the Curriculum and Standards Committee.
Her post-graduate qualifications and background are in education and she currently works as a lecturer for a further education college, teaching English and Employability skills to vocational students.
Jane is the link Governor for RE and PSHE. She has a particular interest in seeing how SMSC and British Values are disseminated throughout the curriculum.
Karen is the link governor for PE at Wellow and Awbridge School. She is a local GP and has a special interest in Medical Education, teaching Southampton Medical Students and also playing a lead role in the Appraisal and Revalidation of doctors in West Hampshire. To strengthen her roles she is currently completing a Masters in Medical Education.
Her particular interest is in ensuring that healthy eating and exercise are heavily promoted throughout the curriculum and her medical background places her in an excellent position to encourage this.
Click HERE for a full list of our Governors